9/05/2011

I hope you dance...



As a new school year approaches a lot of children AND parents are struggling with the change. 

What im hearing described are strong feelings of fear, anxiety, loss, separation and sadness.  Mixed with feelings of joy, excitement, independence, pride and adventure. 

I have received a few letters on this matter and would like to share one today. It touched my heart on many levels and I hope it does the same for you. 
(permission from sender)

May we all learn from each other how to Live, Love and be open to sharing our experiences.  

Live Love, Meredith 


Danelle from San Diego writes:
Dear A,
From the day I found out I was pregnant with you, I began to dream of who you’d become… and from that moment on I started mapping out your future! Your dreams became my goals and everything I have done for the last 18 years has been for your growth and benefit.
Admittedly, I have made my fair share of mistakes along the way.  Being a single parent has not always been the easiest of adventures. But, together you and I have persevered through it all.
Your dad and I used to play guessing games about whose nose you would have…whose hair, eyes, or even brains (still can’t figure that one out haha) Or wonder things like, would you go to college or what would you be when you grew up? Well, it turns out you got the best of both of us and you have far exceeded all of my hopes and expectations.   
After your dad passed away the sadness, questions and fears of how we would make it without him were at times overwhelming.  Then one day I sat looking at this little girl in my arms and realized how very blessed I was.  Yes, my life had changed dramatically and it wasn’t going to be easy but, it was now my sole responsibly and mission to never stop until I provided for you all that YOU needed and deserved.  
Over the years you’re joys have been my joys!  You’re pains have been my pains! YOU have taught ME endless things about life, love and determination. 
Not having a college degree myself I feel very blessed to have been able to provide for you without your father. You and I have been an unstoppable team and look where we are now!! 
As I drop you off for your first year of college and send you into this big world without me, I am flooded with emotions.  Sadness, excitement, fear...But, mostly pride!
You accomplished your goal of being a collegiate cheerleader for the Broncos and have succeeded all of my hopes, dreams and wishes for you!  Your my SHINING STAR!
I have raised you to the best of my abilities and hope I have prepared you well.
The world is wide open for you my little girl… What you do from here is yours to be had!
Loving you forever and alway… (this is on your fathers gravestone: “Forever and Alway” without an s means in every way).
Your Proud Mama,
D

Letter to Myself,
As I sit in my empty nest, I think to myself what’s next? What’s it like to live for Danelle? I feel a little alone in my world with you 1000 miles away.  I know this feeling will pass, the sadness will fade and the joy of watching you grow into your own woman will supersede. Until then I look forward to your visits home and flying to see you as frequently as possible.  I will also slowly start to take my own advice.
"The world is wide open and what I do from here is mine to be had"  
Love, ME








3 comments:

  1. Literally shed tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and touching story

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely Beautiful and definitely a true mothers feeling towards her little girl. I feel blessed that I still have years before my little angel goes to college, but I know that time will pass so fast right before my eyes. The last four years of her little life have been amazing and have gone by So quickly. I can only pray that I remember to take in every moment and never take the time for granted. Thank you for sharing your feelings Danelle. :)

    ReplyDelete